Snow Day Chic
What to wear on a cold and snowy day? Snow is beautiful and fun to play in, but weather-appropriate gear can make it challenging to look put-together. If I'm staying around the neighborhood with my kids, I can wear the down coat and fugly snow boots, but if I have a meeting for work or an event, I have to somehow make functional look fashionable. How do I do it? Here are the key ingredients for a casual-chic snow day look:
- A Heeled Weather-Proof Boot: My confidence is directly related to the height of my heels. Put me in flats, and my posture slumps, my smile dims, my sparkle dulls...I may as well just stay in bed. Thankfully, there is now a solution for lunatics like me who refuse to sacrifice inches in the face of blizzards, hurricanes, monsoons etc. The answer is the heeled weather-proof boot and my favorite options come from Hunter.
- A Warm and Stylish Hat: My good friend Adi, discovered these customizable, hand-knitted, super chunky hats from RK Knits & Hats and I am completely obsessed. The raccoon or fox pom poms are interchangeable which I, of course, can't get enough of. Accessories for my accessories...my heart goes pitter patter. The hats are amazing quality and so warm and soft. I have been living in mine ever since it arrived! Just wait until you see it with the neon fuchsia pom pom! O.M. G.
- A Fab Fur (Faux or Real): A fur coat is the chicest way to tackle the coldest day. (Did I just write a poem!?) Pick your poison: long or short, faux or real, solid or patterned. This tweed mink short bomber from Pologeorgis is fun and fresh, but still neutral enough to work with any outfit. Contact email@example.com to order.
- Easy Jewels: I NEVER leave home without at least a little bling. When it comes to winter, you have to be careful with your jewelry selection. Encrusted cuffs and rings get in the way when you're constantly taking a coat off and putting it back on. The wrong necklace will also catch and pull your knit sweaters and scarves. Sleek bangles and earrings like these from Marlyn Schiff are the perfect (and affordable) way to add glitz to your cold weather ensemble.
- A Statement Bag: An easy way to take a look to the next level is with a gorgeous bag. Snow may limit your shoe selection, but when it comes to your bag, the world is your oyster. Last spring, I was visiting my family in Fort Worth, Texas when I discovered a gorgeous beige leather bag with gold rivets in my mom's closet. I needed to know everything about this bag and the company who made it. It was a Hammitt bag that she got at Stanley Eisenman Fine Shoes. I fell in love with Hammitt's top quality leathers, versatile styles, and fun colors. The bag pictured here is the Joe and is perfect for a girl-on-the-go. It has a compartment for your laptop for the office, and easily transitions into a clutch by removing the strap for a night out after work.
Stay warm out there and beware of that camouflaged slush when crossing the street! Ick!